//How Child Support is Determined in the State of Georgia

How Child Support is Determined in the State of Georgia


Divorce Law:  Who Gets Custody of the Children When a Husband and Wife Separate?

Custody is a subject that comes up almost every single time whenever we take on a family law case.   The answer to who gets custody could be a little unclear at times.

What is in the Best Interest of the Child?

We go through an analysis of factors to determine what is in the best interest of the child.  Below are some factors that help make that determination:

  • Who has the child been living with for the past few months of few years?
  • Is there any criminal history with either spouse?
  • Is the child going to school on time?
  • Is the child doing well in school?
  • Is the child healthy and stable?

This is how we arrive to the topic of custody.

Child Support.  Who Owes it and How Much is Owed?

Anytime there is a child, one thing is certain.  One party is going to end up paying child support. How it’s determined is based on the salaries or income from both the husband and the wife.

The Child Support Workseet

In Georgia, child support is determined by using a “worksheet” known as the Child Support Worksheet. It takes in data from both spouses regarding income and salary to determine how much will be owed.

At the Law Offices of Matthew C. Hines, we could help determine how much you will owe or how much you will be owed for child support.  Simply call our office today and set up an appointment to meet with one of our Atlanta family law attorneys.

By |2018-01-04T13:53:15+00:00January 4th, 2018|Categories: Family Law|2 Comments

About the Author:

Matthew C. Hines began his professional career in October, 2004, after graduating from Georgia State University with a Law Degree and Masters in Business Administration. Immediately, Mr. Hines started his law practice and began helping clients in all areas of law including personal injury, family law, immigration matters and much more.


  1. Larry Green February 1, 2018 at 8:00 am - Reply

    As far as child support goes, my son has been living with me for 6yrs now and as much as I have asked the mother to take me off child support, she has not and is receiving food stamp, now my son has made it clear that he’d rather stay with me his grades are great, and I get him to school daily, and pick him up, went to child support and they said she’d have to request to be stopped, and I have to get him legitimize even though the DNA test confirmed I’m his father.

    • Attorney at Hines Law February 2, 2018 at 11:08 am - Reply

      Thank you for your post. Yes, it is true that if you and the mother were not married when the child was born, then you would need to legitimize the child. This would be done through the Court. The legitimization will show that you are the legitimate father of the child. In that same legal action, you can ask for custody of the child and for child support from the mother. If you have been keeping the child for 6yrs and the child is doing well with good grades, I think you will have an excellent chance with the Court to get custody. Call us if you have any questions and well done on helping your child. I wish your family the best of luck.

Leave A Comment